Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:48 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:48 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:12 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Warnings: 0
Most people have probably heard by now but I'll post this anyway.

BBC News wrote:
Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake

Japan's most powerful earthquake since records began has struck the north-east coast, triggering a massive tsunami.

Cars, ships and buildings were swept away by a wall of water after the 8.9-magnitude tremor, which struck about 400km (250 miles) north-east of Tokyo.

A state of emergency has been declared at a nuclear power plant but the PM said there had been no radiation leaks.

Officials say 350 people are dead and about 500 missing, but it is feared the final death toll will be much greater.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:38 am    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

BBC News wrote:
Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden has been killed by US forces in Pakistan, President Barack Obama has said.

Bin Laden was shot dead at a compound near Islamabad, in a ground operation based on US intelligence, the first lead for which emerged last August.

Mr Obama said US forces took possession of the body after "a firefight".

Bin Laden is believed to have ordered the attacks on New York and Washington on 11 September 2001 and a number of others.

He was top of the US' "most wanted" list.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:09 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

BBC News wrote:
Whitney Houston, US singer and actress, dies aged 48

American singer and actress Whitney Houston has died in Los Angeles at the age of 48.

Police said she died in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where she had been staying as a guest.

Houston was one of the most celebrated female singers of all time, with hits including I Will Always Love You and Saving All My Love For You.

But her later career was overshadowed by substance abuse and her turbulent marriage to singer Bobby Brown.

While the cause of death is unclear, Mr Rosen said there were "no obvious signs of criminal intent".

An autopsy is likely to be held within the next two days. However, if drugs or alcohol are involved, it will take between six and eight weeks for toxicology tests to be completed.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17001548

I was shocked when I found out. :(

She is one of my favourite singers. I love her music. I grew up listening to the popular classics like ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’ and ‘I Will Always Love You’, but it wasn’t until around 2007 where I went through a bit of a Whitney Houston phase and started to explore more of her songs and I’m really glad I did because they are great to listen to. Just tragic that as a result of her inner anguish she turned to drugs and self-destruction. :( Very sad indeed.

R.I.P. Whitney Houston.

matthew17

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:12 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Same here :shock: :(

It's a real shame to see yet another musical legend pass away so soon... :cry:
R.I.P Whitney Houston.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:13 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Administrator & Global Moderator

It's time to resurrect this thread to discuss recent topical issues...

What is your view of equal marriage?

Would you mind eating horse-meat (as briefly discussed in the 'Bourbons' thread)?

Are you worried that a fox will attack you?

Does the pope resigning bother you?

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Forum Games Moderator

My tuppence worth:

I am in favour of equal marriage, very much so. I think these moments of realisation, of awakening, were long overdue. The idea that a man can only marry a woman is, first off, entirely, inherently incorrect (hugely so IMO), and second, if anything at all, very old-fashioned.
It's another step towards the acceptance of homosexuality in society.

Personally, I wouldn't mind horse meat at all. And I'm a very fussy eater.
If it tastes good, as people found out when they didn't bother complaining to Tesco or ASDA about it, then...well, look here! We've found another meat that we all enjoy eating!
I don't think it's right that we kill animals in the false belief that they're less important than us. They're not. No-one on this planet is of less importance than anyone else. But we do kill animals, because they taste good and they sell for neat profits. Basically.
That in mind...why should we care that the meat we eat is horse? It's meat all the same.

I've never been worried that a fox will attack me. Ever.

Finally, no, the resignation of a man with a - at best - "murky" past, does not bother me at all. I say we get rid of all of these religious people. And religion itself.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Joel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:07 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

What is your view of equal marriage? Don't care at all. Don't know why it wasn't legal in the first place to be honest.

Would you mind eating horse-meat (as briefly discussed in the 'Bourbons' thread)? Absolutely not... Don't see why it's any different to eating cows, pigs, chickens etc...

Are you worried that a fox will attack you? Not in my part of the UK, no. :D

Does the pope resigning bother you? Nah, doesn't affect me in any way shape or form.

:-D

Jimmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:35 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Global Moderator

What is your view of equal marriage?

I do reserve some scepticism of equal (specifically religious) marriage simply due to the fact that many religious groups still oppose it based on their beliefs. Marriage is still a very religious symbol and therefore the respective religions do have to be listened to in some way - even if they are wrong! As an atheist though I am a firm believer that marriage, unions or whatever you want to call them should all be one and the same. It is, after all, the declaration of love between two people. As somebody who is non-religious, who cares whether that is not between a man and a woman? Unfortunately I have a feeling David Cameron is only so keen on the idea to divert attention away from his rapidly declining image.

Would you mind eating horse-meat (as briefly discussed in the 'Bourbons' thread)?

I'd prefer to eat what is stated on the packet! You have to wonder what they'll discover next. These things usually come in clusters!

Are you worried that a fox will attack you?

Absolutely terrified. Never lurk around in supermarket car parks after dark... that's when they all come out on the prowl.

Does the pope resigning bother you?

It doesn't bother me but it is a moment in history that won't come around again for possibly another few centuries (unless a precedent has been set!). The more concerning thing about the story should be that an elderly man is very ill.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Equal marriage should indeed be made law. If you were in charge of starting the laws of the land from scratch, and you witnessed same-sex and different-sex couples wanting to get married, I doubt you'd be able to find a logical reason for preventing either types of couple from being married. I know religion plays a part in it, but there are plenty of other laws in existence which certain religions may disagree with.

I don't think it's always necessary to have a legal bond and a certificate to show your love for, and commitment to, another person. However, it seems daft that certain couples are excluded from being able to have the same sort of marriage as other couples, and I'd like to have the option of marrying a partner.

I'm not sure about eating horse-meat - it seems a bit odd, but there's no harm in it in theory. The main concerns are whether the meat is unhealthy and/or of poor quality, and also the fact that horse-meat in non-horse-meat products is so widespread and has seemingly gone on unnoticed for quite some time.

I'm not worried about foxes.

The pope resigning isn't of interest to me, and I doubt that a new pope will have significantly different beliefs from the previous ones.

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:23 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Imperial College are building new halls in ACTON! :shock: :smt011

Acton is so far away from the uni... the nearest tube station is North Acton, and it definitely isn't fit for purpose (look at South Kensington... though there are a lot of bratty kids going to the museums :lol: ), so it's going to be really expensive, including transport costs. :evil:
North Acton - South Kensington is at least 35 minutes on the tube, and that's not including the annoying interchange for the Circle line which takes ages. And rush hour tube is not something you want to be at. :shock: :o

There's a lot of disagreement from students, and rightfully so. Just search #AgainstActon on Twitter, there's a heck of a lot of tweets against the new halls.

The new halls are replacing the ones in Evelyn Gardens which are relatively close to uni and quite social. You can't replace them!

(I'm in Princes' Gardens if any of you coming to London want to meet me :-D )

Imperial College, I am disappointed. :smt011 :smt011

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:58 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Here's Alex Jones, who some of us may know of, on the BBC today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22832994

I must say that as an initial follower of what Alex says, for a while from 2010 to 2011, I feel sympathy towards his cause. He believes he's fighting the good fight, campaigning against all of the wrong in this world, and so on. To him, everything is magnified and this, an opportunity to present himself to millions of BBC viewers, is utterly massive for someone of his standing and his beliefs.

But he goes quite some way to destroying all chances of ever gaining credibility - here or at home - with this particular performance, I feel.
I mean, come on; if you're going to be a guest on a show with other guests on it, at least show them some decency and allow them to speak. Why hi-jack the thing? Where's the respect there?

I'm sad to have to agree with the majority and label Alex "mad", but that's the conclusion I have come to. Some of his beliefs hold weight, but the vast majority never have, can or will and I think he does himself and his reputation absolutely no favours whatsoever in this clip. Startling. :?

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Come on. COME ON!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25458533

Tell me that's not abhorrently wrong. Explain to me how that's permissible. Explain to me how this is possibly a good thing in any way, shape, form or size.

Uncle 'World Policeman' Sam now has - supposedly - the 'authority' to rifle through your computer at a moment's notice and with no reason whatsoever. Come on. Tell me that's alright. You tell me you're happy with the 'powers that be' doing that to you on your next holiday to America.

People harp on about human rights - and how many more infringements to our human rights do we need before we wake the bloody hell up?

I'll stop there. :?

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Forum Games Moderator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28383460

They can't ignore us now.

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:40 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Remembering those who died thirteen years ago in one of the worst human tragedies in memory. Also remembering the millions who have been slaughtered in Iraq and Afghanistan since. Rest in peace. :|

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:18 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Thought I'd mention this since it's rather big at the moment - what are peoples views on the Scottish Independence Referendum next Thursday? I'm voting YES, although I have been a fan of Devo Max lately - shame it isn't an option on the ballot sheet.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:38 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Yes. It's logical. It's long overdue. It's right. :smt023

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Well, the result today was just...horrible.

I made a joke on Facebook today that I wanted a real "Midnight Train Going Anywhere"...I actually do, to take me anywhere apart from the UK.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

What are your predictions for the General Election?

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html and http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html are good websites to keep track of the predicted seats based on opinion polls.

There's currently a 91% chance of a hung parliament so it's highly likely. Unlike 2010 though, it seems the seats will be so equally split between the Conservatives and Labour that a simple coalition with another party won't be possible to create a majority parliament of at least 326 seats.

I think the most likely outcome is the Conservatives and Labour getting almost getting the same number of seats, with the Lib Dems getting a very low number. From this, I suspect Labour would form a minority government with support from (or an official coalition with) the SNP. This wouldn't be a majority government though so there could be problems further down the line, with the possibility of another election soon after. I don't think it's likely that the Lib Dems will have enough seats to form a coalition or offer support, meaning the SNP would have to be involved, and the SNP are more likely to side with Labour than the Conservatives.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:24 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

The prime minister choices are akin to this - would you rather be stung by a wasp or a bee?

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:51 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

The Scottish National Party (my own one) is predicted to have a whitewash up here...goodness knows what'll happen after that.

[ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]