Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:21 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:21 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » DoND Activities, Games & Quizzes Forums » UK & Worldwide Forum Series » KP's SeriesAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 5 posts ] 

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: KP's Series 3 | Rules and announcements
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
In the initial announcement of this series, I wrote:
So, having been inspired by some of the variations on the game Aaron and Archie have introduced into their series, I wondered if mine should have similar. I also wanted them to be broadly more compatible with each other in terms of prize money, so there weren't some options (Pure Pots/Red Mist, A Tale of Two Boxes/Super 6) much stronger than others (Knowing Banker, Classic Deal) on the same series.

I also wondered about how to implement something similar to, but different from, Pure Pots in my series. That something turned out to be a rolling jackpot, starting at £250k and increasing by £5k per game until won. Due to the nature of the Purpliser game, I didn't think the rolling jackpot suited that, as much as shifting 15% of £315,000 to the £25 to make a £47,275 box and a £267,750 top prize seemed fun. Besides, that's now a 24-box game and I wanted all of these to be 22-box games, and also I really like the Purpliser game in its own right still and just wanted to have the fun of Banking a different game every time given that I have had so much fun playing a different game every time with Archie and Aaron.

So Series 2.1 is not cancelled/superceded, it will continue in parallel with the all-new Series 3, and you are actively encouraged to play games in both series as you wish.

Now to Series 3. Like Aaron and Archie series at the time of writing, it has six variations, and I'd like to thank Aaron and Leah for playtesting! They are intended to be broadly balanced, though a balance adjustment may take place at any point.

The rule variations for Series 3.3 are as follows:

1. 23 BUILD
    The game starts with the regular UK board and a starting Box 23 money menu of MONEY BACK/HALF/NOTHING. At any three points of the player's choosing, including post-Deal, the player can make a prediction. If they are within 10%, one of twelve positive options is added to their money menu:
    1. Multipliers: QUADRUPLE/TRIPLE/DOUBLE/ADD HALF.
    2. Additive options: +£35,000/+£20,000/+£10,000/+£5,000.
    3. Other options: NO-LOSE REDO/BONUS/SUPER BONUS/DOUBLE STAKES. NO-LOSE REDO causes a second Box 23 selection with the two negative options replaced by MONEY BACK. The BONUS is the better of ADD HALF and +£5,000. The SUPER BONUS is the better of DOUBLE and +£10,000. DOUBLE STAKES causes a second Box 23 selection with the stake level doubled (i.e. if Box 23 was initially purchased for £6,500, the second selection takes place as if it was purchased for £13,000).

If the prediction is within 5%, they will get a choice of two of these options to add, each from different categories; if they are within 1%, this choice is increased to three, one from each category. Nothing happens if the error margin exceeds 10%.
  2. CAR CHASE
    The game starts with the regular UK board, but with the six lowest reds replaced by CAR. The value of this box is determined by progress up the Car Chase ladder. At any three points of the player's choosing, including post-Deal, the player can make a prediction to move up this ladder. Being within 1% of the offer moves the player four steps up, being within 5% moves the player three steps up, being within 10% moves the player two steps up, and being within 20% moves the player one step up. From top to bottom, this ladder is as follows:
    • Audi e-tron (£82,310)
    • Jaguar i-PACE (£64,495)
    • Volvo XC90 (£53,085)
    • Audi A5 (£34,790)
    • Skoda Kodiaq (£25,775)
    • Renault Zoe (£21,920)
    • Audi A1 (£18,435)
    • Kia Rio (£12,495)
    • Dacia Logan (£8,495)
    • Renault Twizy (£6,690)
    • Supercar test day (£895)
    • RC truck (£69.99)
    • Toy car (£5.99) (The player starts here)

For the purpose of the Banker's offer calculations, the CAR box is valued based on the assumption that the player will make exactly one step up the Car Chase ladder with each unused prediction. (Therefore, for the first offer and any offer prior to the first prediction being used, the CAR is valued at £6,690.)

The Box 23 money menu is DOUBLE/ADD CAR/HALF/NOTHING.
  3. DOCTORED BOARD
    The game starts with the following board:
    £1,000
    £1,250
    £1,500
    £1,750
    £2,000
    £2,250
    £2,500
    £2,750
    £3,000
    £3,500
    £4,000

£5,000
    FYFFES BANANA BONUS
    £7,500
    £10,000
    £15,000
    £20,000
    £25,000
    £35,000
    £50,000
    £75,000

£250,000

The FYFFES BANANA BONUS box is worth £6,000 if won from the box at the end of the game. If revealed in live play, the contestant immediately wins £3,000. In either case, this money cannot be used for Box 23. The Banker may, on occasion, make a "Bend the Banana Bonus" offer to hand back this £3,000 in return for some other advantage; this takes place at an offer point in addition to and separately from a regular offer.

The Box 23 money menu is ADD HALF/+£5,000/+£2,500/MONEY BACK/75%/HALF. Additionally, the Banker cannot make offers where Box 23 is compulsory in this version.
  4. IT'S YOUR GAME
    The game starts with the 11 blues from a regular UK board and the jackpot.

The player is then presented with a choice of two box value pairs, and chooses one of these pairs to add to the board. This process takes place five times in total to select ten boxes to complete the 22-box board. There are six separate lists of 16 pairs, each with a "base value" from £10,000 to £75,000. One of these is left unused, depending on the jackpot:

• Jackpot £250,000-£395,000 - List 6 (base value £75,000) unused
    • Jackpot £400,000-£495,000 - List 5 (base value £50,000) unused
    • Jackpot £500,000-£595,000 - List 4 (base value £40,000) unused
    • Jackpot £600,000-£695,000 - List 3 (base value £30,000) unused
    • Jackpot £700,000-£795,000 - List 2 (base value £20,000) unused
    • Jackpot £800,000+ - List 1 (base value £10,000) unused

After this process is completed, the player is then presented with a choice of three Box 23 money menus (randomly chosen from a larger selection), and selects one to activate before the start of the game.
  5. PRIZE BOXES
    The game starts with the regular UK board, but replacing £5 with MINI PRIZE, £750 with MIDI PRIZE, and £15,000 with MAXI PRIZE. If a player goes to the end and wins one of these boxes, they will receive one of a choice of three prizes with a value depending upon the type of prize box:
    • Mini prizes:
      • Avocado (£1.80)
      • Cillit Bang (£2)
      • Bat soft toy (£6)
    • Midi prizes:
      • iPhone 11 Pro (£1,199)
      • Sofa bed (£1,499)
      • Gaming laptop (£1,799.95)
    • Maxi prizes:
      • 82" 8K TV (£8,999)
      • Summerhouse (£12,995)
      • Renault Zoe (£21,920)

The Box 23 money menu is DOUBLE/ADD MAXI/ADD MIDI/ADD MINI/NOTHING.
  6. PUMP IT UP
    The game starts with the regular UK board and a starting Box 23 money menu of DOUBLE/+£1,000/MONEY BACK/HALF/NOTHING.

The contestant predicts each of the first two offers. For each percentage point within 20% they are of the actual offer (rounded to the nearest 1%), all the reds between £1,000 and £50,000 are increased by 1% and the +£1,000 on the money menu is increased by £1,000. For instance, if the first offer is £9,500 and the prediction is £9,900 (prediction error rounds to 4%), the reds are increased by 16% and the +£1,000 becomes +£17,000.

One of these six rule variations is chosen at random to start each game. The rule variation used in the previous game is excluded from this draw.

The jackpot starts at £250,000 and increases by £5,000 in each game where it is not won, up to a maximum of £1,000,000; winning the jackpot box resets the jackpot. With the exception of It's Your Game, the second- and third-highest boxes must always be at least 25% and 15% of the jackpot, respectively, and are increased to those levels if needed.

Box 23 is always optional, but the Banker can make offers where it must be or must not be used, or where its options are modified; furthermore, this can be either instead of or in addition to a straight cash offer. However, if there are predictions involved, the Banker must make a straight cash offer (which in turn is the basis for the prediction) unless and until all predictions have been used up. The Banker uses a proprietary formula for determining the lower and upper bounds of the offer, and has free rein within these boundaries; all offers involving a modification to Box 23 are evaluated by treating the possible outcomes on the money menu as if they were box values on a 5-box board, and there must be overlap between this offer range and that of the actual offer for the main-game board.

All games use the standard UK 5-3-3-3-3-3 offer format, and there are never bonus offers.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Last edited by KP on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:44 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: KP's Series 3.0 | An announcement (and rules)

I had a dream once where GSN brought back Deal or No Deal to the USA and shocked everyone by using the US prime-time board, but to balance out the budget they had a compusory Case 27 similar to the one you have in Double/Trouble. :)

I xan't wait to see this series in action.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP's Series 3.0 | An announcement (and rules)

KP wrote:
...a balance adjustment may take place down the line (at which point it would become Series 3.1).

A balance adjustment took place following game 20, and Series 3.1 began with game 21.

CHANGES BETWEEN SERIES 3.0 AND 3.1
  • All game modes - A new offer formula has been implemented. The details are deliberately secret, but the previous formula incorporated only the mean and a logarithmic FD. The new formula additionally incorporates the traditional FD, and generosity on all three measures will be considered in the formula. The intention is to reduce the Banker's sensitivity to the stake level of the game, allowing him to make more generous offers on high-stakes boards and less generous offers on low-stakes boards, as the previous formula was overwhelmingly driven by the logarithmic FD late in the game.
  • All game modes except Doctored Board - The Banker may make offers where some money must be staked on Box 23, while another part (which may be in cash and/or prize/s) is guaranteed. (In the case of Double/Trouble, this must be in addition to a standard offer of which the entirety must be staked on Box 23.) The previous rules did not make this clear in either direction, and it has been explicitly allowed following the use of such offers in games 19 and 20.
  • It's Your Game - the Box 23 options have been modified following player feedback that some options are much better than others.
  • Double/Trouble, It's Your Game - the rule of increasing the top two backups to at least 25%/15% of the jackpot no longer applies to these game modes (and was never applied to It's Your Game, nor was it ever intended to, but by the wording of the rules it technically did).
  • 23 Build - the list of options now includes BONUS, which is either ADD HALF or +£5,000, whichever is higher.
  • Prize Boxes - the prize values have been updated (as of 1 April 2018; no Series 3.1 game prior to this date used this game mode), and one of the mini prizes has been changed to one of similar value.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

KP

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:28 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP's Series 3.0 | An announcement (and rules)

A balance adjustment will take place following game 50. Game 51 will be considered the start of Series 3.2.

CHANGES BETWEEN SERIES 3.1 AND 3.2
  • Game mode change - Double/Trouble will be replaced by a new game mode, to ensure the jackpot is consistent between all game modes and because of the uncertainty over whether Double/Trouble was imbalanced (in either direction!). Double/Trouble games with a standard £500,000 jackpot will be available for playing in the Expanded/Special section.
  • All game modes - The rules now explicitly clarify that in game modes with offer predictions, the Banker must make straight cash offers (which in turn are then the basis of the prediction) unless and until all predictions have been used up. Also, the rules now confirm that the Banker can make offers where Box 23 options are modified, and mention how these offers are made.
  • 23 Build - the list of options now includes DOUBLE STAKES, which causes a second Box 23 selection with the stake level doubled (i.e. if Box 23 was initially purchased for £6,500, the second selection takes place as if it was purchased for £13,000), and SUPER BONUS which is the better of DOUBLE and +£10,000. This means there are four additive options, four multiplicative options, and four other options; where the prediction is accurate enough to provide a choice of Box 23 options, these must now be from different sets. Additionally, a 1% error margin is now allowed for a choice of three options.
  • Prize Boxes - the prizes have been updated as of 29 May 2019 and the midi prizes are now valued more highly. Furthermore, the prize lists are now shown in the rules.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:57 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: KP's Series 3 | Rules and announcements

In a joint announcement, Aaron, Archie, and KP wrote:
A joint announcement from Aaron Brock, Archstered, and KP

Viewers and players,

As hosts of the three longest running forum DoND series, we have thoroughly enjoyed exploring the endless potential for the format to be tweaked and modified, all of us now having six variations in every game and frequently revising these.

Following in the footsteps of the memorable “April Fools Series” of 2018, in which hosts played their own game with a guest host, we have decided to take this concept a step further, and announce the 2019 Crossover Series, a six-game extravaganza in which multiple game variations will collide to invite some of the most dramatic and fascinating DoND gameplay ever seen on the forum.

Each of us will host a crossover game for each other, in which game modes from both the host’s series and the player’s will be implemented together. As such, there are six games:

• Aaron hosting an Aaron x Archie game for Archie and an Aaron x KP game for KP
  • Archie hosting an Archie x Aaron game for Aaron and an Archie x KP game for KP
  • KP hosting a KP x Aaron game for Aaron and a KP x Archie game for Archie

The games hosted by Aaron will be games 129 and 130 in his series, and mark the conclusion of Season 4; the games hosted by KP will be games 79 and 80 in his series, and mark the conclusion of Series 3.2. Aaron’s Season 5 and KP’s Series 3.3 will begin with games 131 and 81 respectively, with various game mode changes and balance patches.

Thank you to everyone who’s played and enjoyed our series. We hope you especially enjoy some of the mayhem these games have to offer!

Aaron, Archie, KP

A balance adjustment will take place following Game 80. Game 81 will be considered the start of Series 3.3.

CHANGES BETWEEN SERIES 3.2 AND 3.3
  • Game mode change - Money Drop will be replaced by a new game mode that incorporates predictions, meaning half of all game modes will do so.
  • It's Your Game - the pairs available for initial selection will be completely reworked, and a new higher-value list will be created for use above certain jackpot thresholds. At present, this is the only game mode where the non-jackpot boxes are not enhanced by the rolling jackpot, making the mode underpowered at higher jackpot levels. There will also be changes to the Box 23 options.
  • Prize Boxes - the prizes will be updated following the conclusion of Game 80.
  • Initial game mode selection - With effect from Game 82, the game mode selection will now be from a list of the five game modes that were not used in the previous game. (Hat tip JDGA for this idea, which she had at the very start of the series but I never implemented at the time!)

[ 5 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » DoND Activities, Games & Quizzes Forums » UK & Worldwide Forum Series » KP's SeriesAll times are UTC [ DST ]