Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:41 am Last visit was: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:41 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Warnings: 0
That first lady on yesterday's show really peeved me off. She used Ask the audience and 50/50 on the £20,000 question and was left 2 choices, one that registered 51% and one that registered 4%. Despite this she extremely cautiously walked with £10,000. She was one of only 10 civilians to get to play this series and she blew her one opportunity to win big money. It's people like her that I hope never get accepted for Deal or no Deal or any other gameshow with an element of risk, as they will waste their opportunity to win big money regardless of how easy it is to win it. After ranting about this someone sent me a link to a video showing a contestant whose bonehead move made me absolutely furious (www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yQ1iMcDKbs). :smt019 :smt019 :smt019 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

Profile E-mail  

Mark

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:06 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Well it's only easy if you know the question... (hence why the lifelines are there for a reason).

On previous shows when asking the audience then it has happened more than once where the highest % on a answer and the player went for it... that was the wrong answer.

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:08 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials
Forum Games Moderator

True, we do have to consider this in our rants at "stupid" players.

Just because the majority voted for something, doesn't necessarily mean they're right. :smt023

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum...have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Profile E-mail  

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

There have been Ask The Audience moments where they got the question wrong.

What is a sheet on board a boat?
When is alcohol allowed in the chamber of the House of Commons?

Also, does anyone remember the moment when it didn't work and Chris had to resort to getting the audience to hold up a piece of cardboard with the letter written on it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go5z5i5-Zls :lol:

Fan of classic rock and metal

Profile E-mail  

psychokiller

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Mark wrote:
Well it's only easy if you know the question... (hence why the lifelines are there for a reason).

Answer.

Oh, is that why the lifelines are there? I thought they were decorative.

Profile E-mail  

Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

It's just happened again... hasn't happened for a while.

Ask The Audience... highest % was on D and it was wrong...

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:41 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

The U.S. syndicated version of the show may see it's 4th Millionaire tomorrow. :shock: In this week's preview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJPZHxQp3Cg ), it showed a contestant facing the Million Dollar Question. However, unlike past contestants who faced the million dollar question, she only has $75,000 at risk ($100,000 minus the $25,000 she is guaranteed for making it to the upper tier) thanks to her saving and using her two Jump the Questions on the two previous questions. She began her run on the show today. Hopefully she does the near impossible and be the first person in over 10 years to win the $1,000,000 naturally. I'll post the result tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Today on the U.S. version of the show, Josina Reaves answered the first 11 questions correctly and won $100,000. However, on the U.S. version of the show, this is a unique feat, as we have a lifeline, Jump the Question, which allows the player to skip the current question at the cost of forfeiting its value. Therefore she jumped over both the $250,000 and the $500,000 question. She was faced with this Million Dollar Question:

In addition to his career as an astrologer & "prophet", Nostradamus published a 1555 treatise that included a section on what?
A: Training parrots to talk
B: Cheating at card games
C: Digging graves
D: Making jams & jellies

As soon as I understood the question, I was screaming B, as I was certain C was too obvious and prophets being in quotes was a small hint. Josina figured it was worth a punt (unlike 95% of the players who played UK Deal or No Deal this year :roll: ) with her being guaranteed $25,000 and "only" risking $75,000 to try for the million and locked in
C: Digging graves
as her final answer.

For $1 Million dollars

(roughly £622,000 based on current exchange rates)

the correct answer is:

Did I mention that this was the first Million Dollar Question since 2009 and no one has naturally won the top prize on the U.S. version of the show since 2003.

D: Making jams & jellies :( :cry: :x :smt019

This means she left with $25,000. :( I had a small feeling it was D for as a I was watching this with my dad and uncle, my dad thought it was C and my uncle thought it was A and usually the producers make the least likely answer the correct one on upper tier questions. :smt011 :smt019 At least I know the Million can still be won on the show, and hopefully it won't take another 4 years for someone to be smart and gutsy enough to go for it. Anyway, excellent game, Josina. :smt023

Profile E-mail  

Saperogo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:12 am    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Well, I'm really glad we saw a million dollar question, finally. The only person to naturally see it in the clock format was Ken Basin, who answered it and got it wrong. There was the millionaire tournament of ten in which all but one person walked away, even though several of them were risking only $25,000 (and even I call that really foolish), but that was Millionaire's attempt at getting a millionaire. Then they switched to what I've seen called the "shuffle format", which I haven't been following since I have since not used cable (everything I watch nowadays is done online).

Side story: I knew the answer to Ken's question immediately. For reference, his question was:

Quote:
For ordering his favorite beverages on demand, LBJ had four buttons installed in the Oval Office labeled "coffee," "tea," "Coke" and what?
A: Fresca
B: V8
C: Yoo-hoo
D: A&W

Years earlier I was studying for the AP U.S. History exam and saw a 6-hour special on the History Channel on the presidents. In between commercial breaks the narrator either posed a trivia question to be answered after the break or simply told us some interesting trivia. One of the pieces of trivia was LBJ's personal favorite beverage, which he loved so much he installed a vending machine in the Oval Office exclusively dispensing this beverage. That is why I immediately knew the answer to that question was

A: Fresca

But anyway, kudos to Josina for trying for the million dollars, and hopefully we'll see another million dollar question sometime in the next four years!

stewartw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:19 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Chris Tarrant has left the show and it is to be axed.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/who-wants-millionaire-axed-host-2479545

Sad in a way but hardly unexpected. The last specials I watched were awful.

Profile E-mail  

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:23 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Love that program... even more when it was live.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:01 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Another great live show :)

Returns in the new year... date, currently unknown.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:46 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

For the first time in nearly a year, someone answered the $250,000 question correctly on the US version of Millionaire. Amazingly enough, though, he faced this $500k question:

Drinking alcohol in the British House of Commons is strictly forbidden at all times, w/ the single exception of a lawmaker doing what?

A: Declaring war
B: Crowning a royal
C: Taking the oath of office
D: Announcing the budget

As many UK Millionaire fans recall, this EXACT question was on UK Millionaire and a record (at the time) 81% of the audience went with a singe wrong answer when the contestant asked the audience (link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drbqHte5GS8 ). :shock: :shock: sdgthju sdgthju

Thankfully the player, Justin, did not have his ask the audience still in play. In the end, he decided to

lock in B: Crowning a royal as his final answer, losing himself $225,000. :shock: :shock: :( :( :cry: :cry:

The correct answer was D: Announcing the budget. :(

Profile E-mail  

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:03 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

If he was British he maybe would have known the answer. I think I watched it when that answer came up, not knowing what the correct answer would be.

Not sure if that question has come up on The Chase (it may have done) of which all four chasers would know the answer...

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:39 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Looks like Deal isn't the only game show with idiots.

I'd heard about this, and although it promised big money, I knew for sure that this would be the result.

Building hype by lying to viewers is a dirty trick employed by TV networks around the world. Look at what NBC did with the U.S. version of Deal.

You will never see a contestant get this far on the U.S. version of Millionaire again. Recent reports indicate that it's unlikely to be renewed for a new season. It's sad, because this show was once a powerhouse. Nowadays, it's getting absolutely hammered in the ratings.

I rest my case.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:43 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Challenge have started showing the Australian Hotseat version.

Fan of classic rock and metal

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:34 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

I've seen Millionaire Hot Seat before, and it's complete garbage. The format is one of the worst I've ever seen.

Eddie McGuire, who hosted the original Aussie version of Millionaire, is solid as host, but that's about all the positivity I can squeeze out of this travesty.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:18 am    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

For the first time in a blue moon, I agree with you, Mark. That format is 100% unfair, as depending where you're sitting in the rotation you could get anything from just having to answer one question for $250,000 (and that has happened on multiple occasions, fyi) to being screwed over and having to answer as much as all 15 questions without any llife-lines to leave with any money at all.

I honestly think ITV could revive Millionaire using the Super Mix format in daytime. They could just change the Round 1 values to £100, £250, £500, £750, £1k, £2k, £3k, £5k, £7k, and £10k (a total of £29,600) and have the Round 2 money ladder be £50,000, £100,000, £250,000 and of course the elusive £1 Million, with a fallback of only £10,000 if they get a question wrong in that round (and £1,000 in Round 1, of course). The lifelines would be the same as they currently are on the US version (Ask the Audience, Jump the Question, and +1). If they made the questions as hard as they are on the most recent season of US Millionaire, I guarantee that the show could work on a significantly smaller budget than Deal or No Deal. Perhaps they could also bring the fastest finger first question so that everyone actually has to earn their chance to play and have a guaranteed £1,000.

Profile E-mail  
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]