Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stewartw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Warnings: 0
Has anybody seen the live editions of Millionaire so far this year? Yet another soap star special this weekend.

I saw the School's Out edition a few weeks back, and thought it was pretty shocking. It felt progressively rushed as it went on, and yet they managed to find 10-15 minutes in the middle for a segment which involved Tarrant asking schoolchildren questions like 'Who does the most housework?' or something - meaning that the final contestant was forced to abandon their game after being raced through a few questions. The viewers' competition was also unbelievable - taking away half of the money won for charity and giving it to a random caller. Having not seen the previous live specials I am wondering what they were like! Wonder if there will be any improvement this time?

The refurbished set is really nice, however, and I like the new graphics.

Does anyone think a week or so of regular players doing live shows would be much more entertaining? It would also be something different for ITV these days to have a peak-time game show which didn't involve the same roster of celebrities. Millionaire, Family Fortunes and a lot of others have completely lost their buzz and are now just boring because of ITV's assumption that celebrity overload is all we want to see :(

RMF1254

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:06 am    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

stewartw wrote:
Millionaire, Family Fortunes and a lot of others have completely lost their buzz and are now just boring because of ITV's assumption that celebrity overload is all we want to see :(

Too true. :(

Considering that Millionaire was genuine must-see television until the million was won, it's a real shame that it's ended up like this... :( :( :(

stewartw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:58 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Was going quite well but here we go with the compulsory time wasting again.

I suppose at least this run they've got two shows to straddle across so there shouldn't be a mad rush this evening like at least.

stewartw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:18 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

I think they've gone quite well, compared to the school one at least. They actually finished early so had to fill the time instead of a mad rush; putting on a segment about how the money has changed ordinary people's lives - all well and good, but that's not going to happen anymore is it? Still I doubt they were expecting to have to actually show it.

Still pretty unbelievable they gave £85,000 of the money won to a random caller. Fair enough they have to generate revenue to finance the show etc., but think what that could have done for the respective charities.

ITV seem to miss the point with all the tweaking to the format I think. It wasn't the 15 question money tree or the lack of a clock that turned people off - I think it was the ever-growing number of 'celebrity specials' as the show went on. They're for a good cause, but less exciting IMO than watching real people off the street actually changing their own life as the video package suggested. I may not really care for DOND very much at all now but that's one thing I can't take away from it.

bb67

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:46 pm    Author: bb67    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

I remember the Couples' shows when I was a kid first watching it, I loved those!

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:39 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials
Administrator & Global Moderator

stewartw wrote:
I saw the School's Out edition a few weeks back, and thought it was pretty shocking. It felt progressively rushed as it went on, and yet they managed to find 10-15 minutes in the middle for a segment which involved Tarrant asking schoolchildren questions like 'Who does the most housework?' or something - meaning that the final contestant was forced to abandon their game after being raced through a few questions.

Millionaire, Family Fortunes and a lot of others have completely lost their buzz and are now just boring because of ITV's assumption that celebrity overload is all we want to see :(

I agree with you here - I thought the School's Out WWTBAM was badly put together because of the way they rushed the celebrity contestants, then they wasted loads of time with those VTs. I thought at first it was to allow the next contestant to prepare to go on, but they wouldn't have needed as much time as the VT gave.

There are far too many shows (especially on ITV) that rely on celebrities these days, and it's a rarity to have a new gameshow these days that's not centred around celebrities. (And I use the word "celebrities" in the loosest term, as often they're not celebrities in my view.)

I've not seen the most recent live WWTBAM episodes yet, but it sounds like they were better than the School's Out edition.

stewartw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:12 am    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

bb67 wrote:
I remember the Couples' shows when I was a kid first watching it, I loved those!

I used to enjoy those too! Don't know why they stopped them really. Didn't they used to air around Valentine's Day? A few live shows with couples around then would do quite well I think. Although of course if they had real people playing, they'd surely not get away with stealing half the money won from them to give to a competition winner, so celebrity editions are probably here to stay :(

I really don't get why ITV have made so many game shows celebrity exclusive. I mean, look at Family Fortunes: a time-tested format which is obviously still popular, and I would imagine, not hugely expensive to produce. They could make plenty of half-hour civilian editions of those and use them wherever they want. Who knows, they might even become more popular than the last-year's-X-Factor-contestant's family playing against some-actor-off-Corrie-or-Emmerdale's family fodder every series. I know I'd enjoy them a lot more; I've really enjoyed some of the old episodes I've come across on Challenge here and there.

Can they just not be bothered to audition people anymore?

h2005 wrote:
I've not seen the most recent live WWTBAM episodes yet, but it sounds like they were better than the School's Out edition.

They were noticeably better than the School's Out show. The only real time wasting came when Chris played an ask the audience game to win... a pack of Coronation Street playing cards and DVD! Tarrant seemed less agitated too and wasn't shouting all the way through this time.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:18 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

stewartw wrote:
They were noticeably better than the School's Out show. The only real time wasting came when Chris played an ask the audience game to win... a pack of Coronation Street playing cards and DVD! Tarrant seemed less agitated too and wasn't shouting all the way through this time.

Lucky audience members who got a chance to win something on Saturday. I noticed they didn't give anything to the audience on Sunday. Chris has certainly got more calmer over the course of the live specials. It was quite funny watching the live Christmas edition where he was getting really flustered.

Chris himself even agrees that the show is too celebrity obsessed - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... osses.html - I think it's good that Chris has voiced his opinion on the matter and told ITV what he thinks, even if they won't listen to him. I agree with him as well. Maybe they should try out some live editions with "normal" people and see how the ratings are for that. I know the reason they stopped doing regular editions was because the ratings dropped, but a few live specials like they do with the celebrities might work. I'm sure they could just have a normal phone in competition as well with a set prize of £10,000 or more if they really want a phone in competition.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:04 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Michael DeVere wrote:
I know the reason they stopped doing regular editions was because the ratings dropped...

Well, that and the fact that they much prefer celebrities anyway... :roll: :roll: ;)

Michael DeVere wrote:
...but a few live specials like they do with the celebrities might work.

Maybe so - but I for one can't see these happening... :( ;)

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:23 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Of course it's ok if the celebrities are of high standard. Such as here ;) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v87XGpdYCLc

RMF1254

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:30 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Michael DeVere wrote:
Of course it's ok if the celebrities are of high standard. Such as here ;) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v87XGpdYCLc

'im AGAIN?!??!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: ;)

matthew17

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:25 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

stewartw wrote:
Does anyone think a week or so of regular players doing live shows would be much more entertaining?

Apparantely ITV are actually going to be doing some live specials with regular players this week, starting tomorrow! Should be fun :-)

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:34 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Yes and for the first time ever, you get to play along at home.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:27 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Is this ITV's answer to Million Pound Drop?

Fan of classic rock and metal

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Great first episode...

the last constant will be back tomorrow, currently on £50,000...!

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:00 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Well that was a great last episode of the three day live special. That women just now got on my nerves.

Back in August with a celebrity special. Date and celebrities currently unknown.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:12 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Well, the one time I decide to finally tune in, I end up with probably the most ANNOYING woman in the world! :x She used lifelines on easy questions. How can you not know what Download and T in the Park are? Why did she use "Ask the Audience" on that animal question? And HOW did she win £20,000?! :shock:

Fan of classic rock and metal

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:12 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Mark wrote:
Well that was a great last episode of the three day live special. That women just now got on my nerves.

Back in August with a celebrity special. Date and celebrities currently unknown.

Loads of people taking £20k when they might have won £50k. I'm surprised that didn't annoy you.

;) ;)

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Not really... but worth it if it's on 50 / 50 maybe.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire LIVE Celebrity Specials

Mark wrote:
Not really... but worth it if it's on 50 / 50 maybe.

I know it's not the same thing as even on a 50/50, you might have an inkling on what might be more likely to be the right answer.

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]