Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » DoND Activities, Games & Quizzes Forums » UK & Worldwide Forum Series » All Other Series and GamesAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:21 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
Well, disaster nicely averted there. Well done Mr 123! :smt023 :D

I'd have said No Comment, because I've already dealt. :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Saperogo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:37 am    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2

American Coupon Boy wrote:
That's the problem with my game-play strategy; unless the offer are tailored to me personally, I'll probably win a blue in about 33% of the games. I have no regrets about my No Deals.

We'll see about that. :smt023

Also, seeing the decisions about swaps made me realize I forgot to put the swap question in. That explains my edit to the Round 6 post! I don't think this affects anyone at all, though.

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:42 am    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2
Forum Games Moderator

NO DEAL AND NO SWAP!

Archstered

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:32 am    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2

If the offer were something odd like £249.99 I would have dealt, but... NO Deal.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:41 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2
Global Moderator

DEAL, to ensure something of value out of the game.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:14 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2

hogwild94 wrote:

£50 is still something. :smt011 :lol:

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2
Forum Games Moderator

Just for you, good Sir: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25015&p=799944#p799944

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:34 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2
Global Moderator

American Coupon Boy wrote:
hogwild94 wrote:

£50 is still something. :smt011 :lol:

Yes, £50 is a fair amount of money, but £200 is of more value. :smt023 To be honest, I'm not really bothered now that I've crashed.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Saperogo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:41 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2

I'm posting this early because I expect to be elsewhere tonight, and I'm going to pose a question to you players. It's low stakes, anyway.

Round 6 results

In live play, opening box 10 (original box)
Archstered
box11
KP *
Skyline

In live play, opening box 21 (swapped box)
American Coupon Boy

Dealt at 8-box for £16,500
JoelDavies

Dealt at 5-box for £16,000
daniel123

Dealt at 2-box for £250
hogwild94

* Assuming No Deal and No Swap.

Here is your fate!

Another poor swap outcome for American Coupon Boy. :(

Final results
£16,500 (OPW): JoelDavies
£16,000 (TPW): daniel123
£750 (OBW): Archstered, box11, KP, Skyline
£250 (TBW): hogwild94
£50 (OBW): American Coupon Boy

With that, Week 2 is over. Stay tuned for the reveal of the formula, Deal-Eye analysis, and the question to which I alluded!

Saperogo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:08 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2

The Formula
It is calculated to be a percentage of the Fair Deal. Start at 100% and subtract the following values:
  • 8% if the £250k is still in play
  • 18% if the £250k was taken out in the previous round
  • 8% for each non-£250k power 5 figure taken out in the previous round
  • 8% for each hobo 5 figure still in play
But add the following values:
  • 7% for each hobo 5 figure taken out in the previous round
In addition, to add some variance, a random integer between -3 and 7, inclusive. This is generated via random.org. Whatever is generated, that amount of percentage points is also added to the offer (e.g.., generating 7 means +7% to the percentage, and generating -3 means -3% to the percentage). I thought of this as a "random generosity factor".

Here is how each offer was made:

First offer
  • -8%: £250k still in play
  • -8%: 1 non-£250k power 5 taken out in previous round
  • -40%: 5 hobo 5 still in play
  • +7%: random generosity factor
Sum: 51%
Total: £5,593.76, rounded to £5,500.

Second offer
  • -32%: 4 hobo 5 still in play
  • +7%: 1 hobo 5 taken out in previous round
  • +7%: random generosity factor
Sum: 66%
Total: £7,322.03, rounded to £7,250.

Third offer
  • -16%: 2 hobo 5 still in play
  • +14%: 2 hobo 5 taken out in previous round
  • +4%: random generosity factor
Sum: 94%
Total: £16,365.56, rounded to £16,500.

Fourth offer
  • -8%: 1 hobo 5 still in play
  • 7%: 1 hobo 5 taken out in previous round
Sum: 89%
Total: £16,382.72, rounded to £16,500.

Fifth offer
  • +7%: 1 hobo 5 taken out in previous round
  • -2%: random generosity factor
Sum: 89%
Total: £15,834.80, rounded to £16,000.

Sixth offer
  • -18%: £250k taken out in previous round
  • +2%: random generosity factor
Sum: 84%
Total: £249.33, rounded to £250.

I thought this system had some potential. However, I realized a key flaw before I posted the second round: The Fair Deal already takes the power 5 and hobo 5 figures into account, so by lowering for having the £250k or hobo 5 figures in play, I'm essentially hurting you twice. I think putting in some bonuses/penalties for what happened in the previous round has some potential, though. I can easily be wrong with that, but it's what I think.

===

Deal-Eye:

Once again going all the way to the end, and incurring a LOSS if it were playing against daniel123 or JoelDavies, a WIN against American Coupon Boy and hogwild94, and a DRAW against everyone else!

At least this affirms that the final offers were better than the earlier offers.

===

Questions (plural, actually)

I'm thinking of reneging on my "formula only" policy and personally inventing next week's offers. This can come off as being "unfair" since I "know the outcome", but I do that already when I play my own Deal games online because their offers are always horrific. I'll keep to what the offer I made upon seeing the board for the first time is. Does this sound fair, or should I either introduce a new formula or permit a guest banker to reign?

Secondly, certain people think that this would be more realistic if there were some negotiating between banker and player. I'm not fond of allowing for free negotiations due to how the offers are shared amongst all the players in live play. However, I'm toying with this idea I had that goes as such:
  • Once per game, you can "negotiate" the banker by offering an amount you think the offer should be.
  • If the banker "accepts" it, that will be your new personal offer. If the banker "rejects" it, your new personal offer will be the original offer minus 10%.
  • Negotiating will take place via PM, to prevent players from using previous negotiations to their advantage. I might also want all Deal/No Deal decisions to be done by PM, but I like the activity in these threads.
The question is what constitutes the banker "accepting" an offer and what constitutes "rejecting" it. My idea is that I have a pre-determined figure that I'll call the "max negotiable offer". If your negotiated offer is higher than that, I'll reject it; otherwise, I'll accept it.

Again, this would be once per game, to prevent abuse of this system.

Does that sound fair? Should it be modified? Or is this too much of a twist that takes away from the "What would you really do?" theme? I'd appreciate feedback. :smt023

Week 3 starts Saturday night at 12 AM BST!

Last edited by Saperogo on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:38 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2

That is absolutely fair. :smt023 The real Banker usually only allows players to negotiate 1 offer as well, usually at 8 box or 5 box.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:43 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2
Forum Games Moderator

Yes, that does seem fair. I'm in favour, as we know, of a guest banker, who could even be one of our own but abstaining from participating in the week's game.

I'm not fond of Deal or No Deal decisions being via PM, as I too like the activity here. That part I think is fine as it is. :smt023

Also, an OPW and a TPW to start myself off with, two weeks in and it's looking rather positive here. :D

Archstered

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:16 am    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2

Sounds brilliant!

Excited now! :-D

KP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:04 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: What Would You Really Do? Week 2
International Forums Moderator

To not even be at £300 makes this a very Spartan offer. Thank goodness I didn't jump in in time to swap :D

On the offer pattern - I see what you're doing here, the only problem is that it defaults to sub-FD offers pretty much as a matter of course. I've been dabbling with different offer formulae, and the net result of this was a ludicrously complicated "Magical Mechanical Banker" that is based on Deal-Eye but changes the pair values based on a number of criteria which can be edited for each player. (These are: targets, risk-aversion, anxiety over a blue win in general and a 1p win in particular, and willingness to "confetti chase.") That produces a "personal benchmark," and I've set offers to be randomly generated within certain percentages of that benchmark for different stages, increasing in generosity through the game.

It gets messy to explain, but here's the offers it produced in practice with this same board, with the "default" settings (£20k target, other modifiers set to zero):

OFFER 1: £9,999
OFFER 2: £11,500
OFFER 3: £20,000
OFFER 4: £17,000
OFFER 5: £15,000
OFFER 6: £300

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » DoND Activities, Games & Quizzes Forums » UK & Worldwide Forum Series » All Other Series and GamesAll times are UTC [ DST ]