Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal ContestantsAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 4374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214 ... 219  Next

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:29 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

Warnings: 0
13 years ago today was £100k Gaz and 12 years ago today was Leila, who went from being brushed off by Theresa when advising her to deal at an ultra-generous offer, to being practically lectured into dealing by her mother when she played :roll:

Davao

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:15 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

12 years ago today it was £101,000 Graeme's game, I loved that game, had everything to make it exciting.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:42 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

12 years ago, Stephen played what could be considered the final game of the "wakey era" after he dealt at a super-generous £20,000 offer on a final five of £50/£1k/£15k/£35k/£50k final 5 and subsequently destroyed his board after the deal, making it a great OPW! :D This was the last game where the banker regularly make ultra-generous offers, which had been a theme for the first few months of 2007.

May 2007 was certainly an interesting month - It was really held up by £101k Graeme's game and the end of the wakey era annoyances such as the blue chants, Noel's aggressive no-dealing attitude etc. it also had controversial moments like PJ's swap and ludicrous post-game handouts.

Ultimately though, it marked the end of the "wakey" era - Doughnut Kirsty's game was the last time we heard the "blue" chanting regularly, and after weeks of people crashing and burning after no-dealing £20k+ offers on "£250k, £50k and not much else" 8-boxes, Lynn breaking down in tears after doing the same thing was the final straw for the wakey era. After Lynn, the banker continued his wakey era generosity for another week - in which £30k Jeff (who dealt at the third offer) was the highest winner of the week, and Stephen was the only person who no-dealt beyond 8-box that week - before he suddenly stopped his generosity with Sarah's game (who did a terrible deal and got a hypothetical offer of "only" £17,500 on 1p/£100k final 2!), and from then on, Noel became more neutral and the offer generosity depended on the contestant in the chair.....Well, until about a year later when the offers became super-stingy and the contestants were (mostly) just trying to win money for sentimental reasons :roll:

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

11 years ago, Tommii played. A big character whose antics divided the forum, he was the second last player in the stupid "22 players winning £20k or less" gimmick in the fallout from crap deal Richard's game (well third last actually as Noel's memory was so bad he forgot Sylvia who debuted in Richard's game :roll: ). With the run of bad luck we had at the time, Tommii had yet another game that failed to get going, and he took a loss-cutting £2,000 on a £100/£5k final 2. He had £5,000 in his box, making it another great ending for the banker :(

Tommii seemed genuinely mortified when he undersold his box, yet in his post-game interview, he talked about how pleased he was with £2,000. Was it just the charade he was suppose to play on-screen? :?

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:12 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

James1978 wrote:
First post here in over 5 years!

Wow, I'm amazed I'm even remembered TBH.

I did choose to stop posting on the forum actually, it came to the point where during the last year or so I posted here, all I was doing was bitching about other users' posts (first it was Norwich Donder who always seemed to snipe at the contestants, then Mark with his oh dears, then it was Mad Mark/Dr Hindsight/whatever else he called himself, then lastly ACB - though the latter did get much better after I left) - and not really posting anything constructive myself as I wasn't watching the show anywhere near as much as in the early days, so didn't feel I had anything to contribute any more. There might have been one or two more but they're the main ones I remember!

I can't have seen more than 20 games per year from 2014 onwards, though I did see most of the specials at the end of 2016 and the jackpot win on the last-ever show (which I felt was something of a fix!), and I absolutely HATED Box 23 - to have been used as anything more than a tool to see if people could rescue to extra 10 grand out of a trainwreck (and to keep viewers watching a trainwreck) , then the NOTHING option really needed to go (have something else bad, but not as bad as losing the lot!).

(God I've just realised I still have a signature of an old man who played his name nearly 13 years ago.......)

Hi, James. Welcome back.

Ben and I are still here. We’ve both mellowed out significantly and I’ve even taken the reigns as the recapper of the revived U.S. Deal, which premiered last December. The new version seems to have righted many of the wrongs of the original.

Even three years after the UK version ended, I still think about 70% of the contestants were idiots, as poor decisions either ruined their games or caused them to undersell large amounts. Unfortunately, there’s little that will ever change my mind about that. I cannot be sympathetic towards who refuse to see sense.

But yeah, welcome back, bahd. Head on over to the International section to see how the new U.S. version has turned out.

Last edited by Dr. Hindsight on Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:05 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...
Forum Games Moderator

And how has it turned out? Good to see you back round here too Mark, by the way - if we can get a few more people posting like this, we'll have a good little community going again!

Anyway, yeah, how's the new show done popularity-wise? I'm not expecting it to have been a storming success, but has it picked up any decent viewing figures, a few million here and there? I don't know what counts as decent in a country with a population much larger than my own, of course. :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:01 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

9 years ago, Dennis had one of the most controversial games of all time, where he initially dealt at £15k at the third offer, but then after the break he "undealt" his offer as he didn't want to deal at the third offer....And went back into live play!! :? Dennis had a bad round and dealt at his next offer of £7,500, and after the proveouts didn't go his way, Dennis was left with a £100/£15k finish....where the banker made Dennis an offer - He could go back into live play and win £15k if it were in his box, BUT if he had the £100 in his box.....he would keep the £7,500 he'd dealt at! sdgthju

Dennis did go on to win the £15k by opening his box, and while it was a great ending, this was one of the most questionable games of all time since Dennis was essentially talked out of an 11-box deal, then subsequently took a defeatist deal and was then given a chance to double his money with no risk at all. It just reeked of desperation for a feel-good ending and i really think the show was beginning to turn to pot around this time :smt011

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:50 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...
Forum Games Moderator

That's insane! :shock:

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

FrenchAPOALFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:28 pm    Author: FrenchAPOALFan    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

It's just so weird, it seems some people wanted this to be the game of the month or something like this, but i feel like it's just to easy, i hope this situation is an one-time occasion.

Because in this case, you can always deal an offer, say "oh no i meant no deal" and if the game goes wrong walk away with the money :smt011 .

It's normal to ask the question again when someone says deal or no deal by accident like mary in 2009, but i think this scenario (Dennis's game) sucks :-D .

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:42 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...
Forum Games Moderator

What is it now, 4 September - 13 years since Ottis had his terrible start and incredible recovery and ended up leaving with £7,000? Maybe it was 5 September, I forget.

It was also the day before my first day at secondary school. Crikey, tempus fugit. :lol:

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

9 years ago. Balbina had one of the most powerful 5-box boards ever as she was faced with a final 5 of

£10,000
£15,000
£20,000
£100,000
£250,000

She was offered £45,000, and no-dealt. Sadly, things fell apart in the final round and she was left with a £15k/£20k ending. Balbina played to the end and went away with £15,000

Shame it didn't work out but it was one of the few exciting games of early season 6. Balbina's 5-box board was one of the few good moments in a bad month without any large wins and the forum becoming increasingly irritated with players becoming noticeably more cautious (a sign of things to come) and the banker constantly calling back

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

8 years ago, we had 2 landmark big wins on cosecutive shows - £70k Paul and £75k Belinda, who both dealt with near-identical 5-box boards with the top 3 in play, and both of these players essentially being denied spankings by a 6-figure sum being on the table.

Sadly, despite these games being mega wins that would usually be warmly welcomed on here, both of games had a somewhat souring factor to them , with Paul breaking down in tears when he undersold the £250k despite the fact that he'd just won SEVENTY GRAND!! And Belinda's game never really got any true praise on here due to her game thread turning into 3 pages of nothing but people arguing (not surprisingly it was started by a certain someone on here and his robotic tantrums he'd throw EVERYTIME someone undersold their box :roll: )

FrenchAPOALFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:45 pm    Author: FrenchAPOALFan    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

I don't know about this "Paul's game" but how you can break down in tears for winning 70K i thought Donna (in 2006 ? blond, blue eyes, tall) was something like "a stupid spoilt princess" for crying when she won 20K. I mean ok she had the 250k she is sad and so on but when she burst in tears i was like "come on you have poor people, people without a house and so on they would die to win 20k for just open some boxes".

At least don't cry on tv because you won "only 20k" , if it's so awful to win 20k, carry on, take the gamble and explain clearly it would be worse for you to sell the 250k for 20k than going home with a blue knowing you could have won 20k.

So for this Paul guy, crying for 70k it's crazy, if it's so awful to win 70k he should give the money to all the contestants who were unlucky with no choice to go home with a blue (like nikki tucker/mark de sousa and probably several others).

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:54 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

Been a while since this thread has been bumped up, but today's date, February 10th was an apparent hotbed for particularly cautious deals during the show's round

5 years ago in 2016 - The show was in the penultimate leg of it's 11 year journey, with less than 100 shows left on DoND's clock. The player on this particular day was ANDREW, who had a reasonably short career on the west wing (about 14 shows was it?), was summoned to the crazy chair (which by this point was probably up for sale in a Salvation army store - naughty Barbara's dream may have come true after all! :lol: ;) ). He had a pretty average game in which his offers never truly got off the ground, and at 5-box, he decided to cut and run for £3,888.88. But then the drama came in the proveout when he had an all-blue round after the deal and squandered a £10k/£35k finish, at which point, the banker apparently would've given Andrew an offer of £23,000 (102% of the average!!), and the aforementioned power-5 amount was indeed found in Andrew's box to add insult to injury. Then, in a very peculiar move, Andrew shocked us all by taking the gamble on box 23, and lost the lot! :shock: Meaning Andrew ultimately left with NOTHING and essentially gave a £35k to the banker FOR FREE! :( :cry:

8 years ago in 2013 - MICHAEL played the last "civilised" game before the love week specials. The last of the three charismatic Caribbean gentlemen to grace the dream factory in the early 2010s with their character and up-to-scratch taste in hats, Michael did a deal which somewhat mirrored that of his controversial namesake from 07. Dealing at £3,500 on an 8-box with 6 blues, £1k and £100k remaining, the very cautious decision however was proven to be the right one as Michael removed the remain 2 reds in the next 2 boxes! I'm surprised Michael was more well-recieved for his character rather than infamously remembered for his deal, may have been a different story if it happened during the SECOND half of 2013 rather than in February when it did

10 years ago in 2011 - SOPHIE took a rather cautious deal of £7,000 at 8-box, but the proveouts went DRAMATICALLY wrong. Although the banker initially went easy on Sophie by giving her a band-aid response of a proveout offer of "only" £13,250 at 5-box with the £35k and £250k still there, it was all null and voided by the fact that Sophie ended up with a mighty finish of £35k and £250k, which would've yielded a life-changing £107,000 offer!

15 years ago in 2006 - We were only about 80-odd games into the show's run, and the month of February 2006 saw the first 3 members of the "controversial deals club". This week in 06 started with Glen who dealt at 8-box for an offer of £9,000 despite still having £15k, £35k, £75k and £100k all higher, and ended with PETER who played on this day and dealt for £3,500 on an 8-box board more or less identical to the aforementioned Michael. However, Peter was not so lucky as he kept the £100k to the end and would've been faced with a final offer of £35,000!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:26 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 Years Since...

Actually, I just missed the anniversary of another early-ish days (well not really early days) game which i actually just thought of the other week - £18k Alex's game from 14 years ago, what a strange game that was!

IIRC, Alex was a policeman who's real name was "Gladstone", and his game was perhaps best remembered for the weird limbo stuff him and Noel did during the show! But what I thought was particularly strange about that game was the fact that Alex's decision to deal an almost on-the-mean offer on a very volatile board was greeted with deafening gasps of horror from the audience, and when Alex could've had an offer of £21k if he played on, Noel - being in the absolute prime of his "deal too soon = complete disaster" wakey phase" - had an absolute meltdown over Alex missing out on the extra couple of grand!!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:59 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1-15 Years Since...

15 years ago. Bearded James dealt at £14,700 and achieved the FIRST EVER 11-box $panking! :D

Surprisingly, this has become one of the most obscure games of Season 1, with no pictures, let alone video footage, of this game to be found anywhere, despite the feat that was achieved, and it being the debut appearance of Joseph!!

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:35 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 1-15 Years Since...

Arguably one of the most obscure contestants of the March - July '06 era too. Literally the only thing I can remember about him is his involvement in a box swap on his debut (think it was the greengrocer who crashed to £1)

Funny that bearded contestants were relatively uncommon enough to be characterised as such back in the day. 1 in 5 adult males aged 20 - 30 probably look like James now.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:11 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 1-15 Years Since...

psychokiller wrote:
Arguably one of the most obscure contestants of the March - July '06 era too. Literally the only thing I can remember about him is his involvement in a box swap on his debut (think it was the greengrocer who crashed to £1)

Funny that bearded contestants were relatively uncommon enough to be characterised as such back in the day. 1 in 5 adult males aged 20 - 30 probably look like James now.

£1 Gary a.k.a the day where the censors fell asleep and let Buzz say "S*** or bust" live on air! :shock:

Heck, even James' wing replacement Trevor - who played after only a handful of shows and was only on our screens for a week or so due to double deal week - is somewhat better remembered, although largely due to his wife's "near-nuclear meltdown" when he dealt! :lol:

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:57 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 1-15 Years Since...
Forum Games Moderator

Yes, that was the era of sharp haircuts and clean-shaven faces, and to be honest, I think there was a heck of a lot to be said for that style. Then again I'm an odd 26-year-old, when I've had a shave I can get away with...well, about 25...but a beard puts another ten years on me, easy.
I'm going off on a tangent because I can remember absolutely nothing about Bearded James, and am therefore rendered incapable of making any meaningful contribution to our progress along this particular avenue of conversation. :P

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:03 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re:
Forum Games Moderator

Ian W wrote:
Wow! 1 year since Jennifer's game how quickly did that year go, and we were worried when Deal or No Deal was on its summer break :D

I'd be surprised if she's still alive Walshy...

[ 4374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214 ... 219  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal ContestantsAll times are UTC [ DST ]